CJ Tach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ Tach

Anyboyd have a write up on how to hook up a tach in a cj? The guy i bought it from put the gauge in but neglected to hook it up.
    1981 CJ8 - old & dumb
    1988 Cherokee Limited - The Real Cherokee
    2001 TJ Sport - DD

whats the tach.. autometer ect ?

Comment

Its a aftermarket tach, not auto or anything. Will have to check it out when I get home, but i think its pretty much just a standard one.
      1981 CJ8 - old & dumb
      2001 TJ Sport - DD

Comment

There should be a tach signal wire coming out of the distributor. I don't think you can hurt the tack if you connect it to the wrong wire. so just try until the tack starts reading something.
        It is probably the wire that doesn't go to anything if you don't already have a tach, if you have a tach it is that wire.
        I'm sure a service manual will be able to tell you what wire but I don't have one in front of me.

Make sure you have a 6cly tach and connect it wires on the back of the tach to what they say should be something like power, ground, tach signal, it's that easy.
        RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
        www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
        Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
          There should be a tach signal wire coming out of the distributor. I don't think you can hurt the tack if you connect it to the wrong wire. so just try until the tack starts reading something.
          It is probably the wire that doesn't go to anything if you don't already have a tach, if you have a tach it is that wire.
          I'm sure a service manual will be able to tell you what wire but I don't have one in front of me.

Make sure you have a 6cly tach and connect it wires on the back of the tach to what they say should be something like power, ground, tach signal, it's that easy.
          justin's correct

Comment

so i have four wires. A red and black which i assume are the power cables for the back lighting. Then a green and white one. Connect one to the coil tab? Couldn't find anything on the distributor to connect it too.
            1981 CJ8 - old & dumb
            2001 TJ Sport - DD

Comment

Originally posted by bangarang View Post
              so i have four wires. A red and black which i assume are the power cables for the back lighting. Then a green and white one. Connect one to the coil tab? Couldn't find anything on the distributor to connect it too.
              you have to tap into 1 of the wires on the distributor

Comment

Originally posted by bangarang View Post
                4 wires from the tach or distributor?

Did you try asking the almighty Google?

I found this in like 2 seconds

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Autogage-Tachometer.htm

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-...ng-Diagram.htm

I'm sure there are more wiring diagrams or you can buy one.

Did your tach, come with instructions?
                RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:
                Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Sweet that will hopefully do the trick, i'll have to rig it up and let you guys know when i get home. The guy i bought the 8 from had already installed it on the dash and just left the wires hanging, so no instructions.
                  1981 CJ8 - old & dumb
                  2001 TJ Sport - DD

Comment

got it rigged up and working, thanks guys
                    1981 CJ8 - old & dumb
                    2001 TJ Sport - DD

Comment

good job,
                      Any time
                      RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:

Comment

Working...
                      X