No announcement yet.

Another "getting idea's" thread...jk.lol.bbq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I convince my self every trip to stay mild on 35s... and then my wallet convinces me more.
    -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
      I convince my self every trip to stay mild on 35s... and then my wallet convinces me more.
      Harry, meet Caleb.
      - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
      or am asians pants not a read end lol.
      Originally posted by DizzDizz
      aliens probed my husband

Comment

Overbuilt XJs killed sisoffroad.
        Is it egg nog season yet?

Comment

What JK takeoffs are we talking? I honestly have super little interest in needing new bumpers, so that hidden winch is nice.
          dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
            What JK takeoffs are we talking? I honestly have super little interest in needing new bumpers, so that hidden winch is nice.
            Stock JK tires and wheels, rubicon or otherwise. 255/75/17s

- Will

Originally posted by fizzy
            or am asians pants not a read end lol.
            Originally posted by DizzDizz
            aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by SupermanIce-J View Post
              id like to hear what people with tj's, yj's, wj's, or other decent 4wd vehicles have to offer too.
              sooooo... i know i am not the only one that has some advice on improving what they built or over-built.

Will you have had/ have 3 cherokee's and a manche... im sure you have learned some things along the way of what you would do/ wouldn't do again.

Patrono, you've had a couple of jeeps throughout your hundreds of years of living... what do you have for us.

Harry. you're my inpiration for a beater/ ton'd wheeling beast cherokee... would you have done anything different and what would you do again?

Caleb... tell me your stories.
              2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
              • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
              • 4.0/42rle/np241or
              • 5.13's
              • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
              • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

Another "getting idea's" thread...jk.lol.bbq

If I remember right... today actually marks 11 years of ownership of my Jeep. Woo!!

It's gone from bone stock to a 5000lb thing with lots of medal welded to it. Which in my opinion, is not the best way to get to where I am now, but it has been a slow evolution more than a deliberate choice. If you are starting out and wanting a ton'd thing on 40s, build a buggy. Or at the very least start on something with a real frame. Aside from dealing with the unibody, there is not a whole lot I'd change on mine. I love the way it performs. Sometimes the body gets in the way. I think it's going to end up like this:

For the sake of where this thread is going:

Hannah's Jeep, similar to Phil's silver Jeep:
                3" bastard lift
                33" BFG ATs
                HD offroad center stiffeners
                ZJ steering
                Skidrow gas and t-case
                30 & 29 spl 8.25, Aussie'd but otherwise stock
                Solid diff covers
                White body shocks
                Stock gears
                Homebuilt front bumper w/ steering box tie ins and recovery points
                Box rockers

Next immediate thing will be building the rear bumper with solid recovery points. Eventually, I think it will get regeared, some nice shocks, and maybe some kind of simple interior cage. There is already air coming in at the top of the driver door where it doesn't seal anymore. Bah! If steering ended up being a problem, I think I'd push for Currie HD stock setup. If shafts start popping, pry throw some chromos in it.

Sometimes I like to dream about 44/8.8 or something, but then I ask myself why? It works. She loves driving it around and it is really capable, just the way it is. My truck wasn't running for 4th of July weekend so we drove her Jeep to Rausch instead, was a great weekend! Would still prefer to make the trip with a truck and trailer though. Sadly, THAT is where the real money gets spent.

Andy's is a little bigger than what you guys are talking about, but that thing is a work of art IMO and does it all extremely well. Though based on recent discussions, he may be coming over to the dark side soon...
                Last edited by Harry; 08-05-2016, 09:57 AM.
                97 XJ.

Comment

amen Jawsh and Willy.

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Well since I just got rid of the WJ I can weigh in on that.

The WJ is a great platform powertrain wise on a smaller setup, but building it to a rock crawler isn't the most ideal thing for it, in my opinion. Unless you can go all in like John did and it can be great, but it's best as an expedition type wheeler. Low belly, rocker, and gas tank clearance make it tough at times and are things you don't want to worry about rock crawling, but for Exp wheeling it isn't as big of a deal once armored up. Price wise the WJ is kind of an expensive platform to modify as well without no where near the aftermarket support compared to an XJ. Those front cv shafts are weak for crawling, but fine for lighter stuff and the aluminum 44 can be easily armored up.

The best part of the WJ aside from the v8 is the space compared to other jeeps. It is huge inside. Also, it has features. Leather, sunroofs, heated seats, etc. are all nice to have. The ride is great too.m Mine even on 35s was great on road and got me to a lot of places, but I overbuilt it for the bulk of the wheeling I did. If I did it again I'd never build it above where I had it on 4" of lift and 285/75r16 toyos and never crawl it. Even a 3" lift, some armor, and some 31s and the stock quadradrive system can be a perfect expedition setup and take you almost anywhere you'd need to go.

They can be had at very reasonable prices too...
                    Last edited by Pedro; 08-06-2016, 10:02 PM.
                    P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                    2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                    OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Originally posted by SupermanIce-J View Post
                      id like to hear what people with tj's, yj's, wj's, or other decent 4wd vehicles have to offer too.
                      I wasn't gonna bother saying anything till you said this... figured id just get mocked as a cheerleader. But hell, alright.

Honestly, If I had to do it over again, I would have never have gotten rid of my YJ and built that instead. At this point all of the parts of a TJ that make it a TJ that I decided I wanted when I wanted to trade up are no longer even on the damn car. I either upgraded or just did away with a lot of the original car. So what I should have done was just kept the cheaper platform and modded it instead.

If I were to start with a YJ the biggest thing I would do is to not rip into it until I had most of the major parts on hand. Too many times on the TJ Ive had parts fight each other because I had to make due until I could afford the next upgrade. Once and right is a better way to go Ive learned.

Taking the whole vehicle apart Id start by taking care of any rust on the body and frame and seal up any unnecessary holes, making the frame air tight and taking care of any trouble spots that are known for rusting down the line. Id ditch the carpets and send the tub out to get line-x'd with the most rubberized shit they could spray on the inside and also the underbody with the harder stuff too.

I agree with what everyone says with axles and tire size, but I really think its what you want to do with the rig. For me I still want to run tons and 38s, and I did get that killer deal on mine, but had I not I assume I may have gone with 35-36s on 44F/R.

Id keep the front leafs with remote resi's and convert the rear to a four link with coilovers I think, cutting and flatfenders to keep it as low as possible.

New cage, bumpers, winch, full skids, hydro assist HD steering, hydro-boost brakes, OBA and id be thrilled.

And after all of that I'm pretty sure id be 10-15K cheaper than where my TJ is now and it would probably work great.

So from there, what the hell, new seats, baller stereo and maybe a doubler. haha

...Now that I think about it... I really wish I could start over.

Fuck.
                      "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
                      It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

You probably wouldnt have as many deathwobble issues if you still had the YJ....
                        sigpic
                        Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

No shit, I'm about to put the TJ's front on leafs just to give that a go, see if it helps.

(Edit: I'm braindead right now apparently. is the plural for a leaf spring leafs or leaves? neither one looks right to me right now. haha)
                          Last edited by HitItWithSomeSpeed; 08-11-2016, 10:43 PM.
                          "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...

Comment

I always say 'leafs'. It's slang, you can do whatever you want. Just like what the blacks did with the English Language.
                            sigpic
                            Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Wooow. haha, that escalated quickly.

Comment

I've had a butt ton of different jeeps...4 XJ 2 TJ 1 FSJ

The current XJ has probably got to be the best setup I've done so far and it's only cost around 7k.. and the amount of crap I've actually done to it is astounding.

I'm on 3.5 and 38s 44/8.8
                                Locked f/r 5.13s
                                231sye
                                3 link LA
                                True 1 ton steering
                                Plated bumper to bumper
                                Bumpers f/r with recovery
                                All new floor pans
                                Head was completely rebuilt
                                All sorts of interior upgrades
                                2x6 rockers
                                Multiple sets of doors (full, half, tube)
                                And many many more mods

Though this one is probably the best built XJ I've gone with so far, if I were to changer anything. I would have started with 36-37s... the 38s are just a little too unruly for an XJ
                                Last edited by hippie metal; 08-13-2016, 10:56 AM.
                                Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
                                didnt this thread start with Jon being gay? what happened to that?
                                Originally posted by Lawn Guyland
                                he's still gay we've just moved on to more important issues
                                Originally posted by Zullius Caesar
                                i grab dude's junk all the time, doesn't make me gay.

Comment

Working...
                                X