Another "getting idea's" thread...jk.lol.bbq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another "getting idea's" thread...jk.lol.bbq

I think we all have learned a few lessons over the years of wheeling and I was thinking we should compile them in a thread. One reason I think getting back into wheeling will be (relatively) expensive is that from all the mistakes i have made on other vehicles I want to "do it right the first time."

I've had 4 cherokee's and have learned a bunch from forums, wheeling, wrenching, etc on things i would do differently to make a cherokee "better" then my previous 4.
    • Plate the whole frame before doing anything to it.
    • never go above 33's on a cherokee that will see road time (JMO)
    • I don't need reservoir shocks for rec. wheeling/exp'ing. but white bodies suck for something that you want to be comfortable. bilstien 5100's or the like are what i will be putting on the next rig
    • steering... just fucking do it right the first time and get rid of the stock y-link bull shit... i have broken/ sheered/bent beef tie-rod upgrades.
    • As cool as 44 f/r or bigger is... if I want to just wheel what rausch has then a mild 30 and upgraded rear will work just dandy.
    • i still think 3" and 33's is a stellar combo for mix mild wheeling and exp'ing.
    • reliability is key... every rig i get will have the coolant flushed, tune-up, and necessary sensors to get the damn CEL off so that i don't have to worry about it being a POS on the trail.
    • I don't necessarily need "the best" springs/shocks/tires/lift to rec. wheel reliably... don't buy shit parts... but my dream of having deavers on a cherokee have been superceded by maybe a set of bds's if im splurging.
    2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
    • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
    • 4.0/42rle/np241or
    • 5.13's
    • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
    • 33” BFG KO2s

I wish, years and years ago I had really paid any attention to what everyone else said. I agree with all this, and my poor XJ would still be going strong if I had just used my goddamned brain.
    dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by SupermanIce-J View Post
      As cool as 44 f/r or bigger is... if I want to just wheel what rausch has then a mild 30 and upgraded rear will work just dandy.
      This is my bible
      - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
      or am asians pants not a read end lol.
      Originally posted by DizzDizz
      aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
        This is my bible
        i think that is one of the bigger ones. sure i could build it "right" with full width 60's and detroits and drive slugs and full hydro... but at that point... why not build a fucking buggy and have something completely impractical.

2003 TJ Rubicon
        • 4.0/42rle/np241or
        • 5.13's
        • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

big axle XJs/Jeeps are short term enjoyment, long term headache, and costly sales. proven over and over and over. Unless you have GOBS of money to throw at it at the onset. Or a fully outfitted shop with funds/time/skills to upkeep.
          - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

On the positive side of gobs of money to throw at it to build it right the first time... erik miller's lj. that thing was built right the first time around. and it will probably not be a short term enjoyment, long term headache nor a costly sale.

2003 TJ Rubicon
            • 4.0/42rle/np241or
            • 5.13's
            • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

id like to hear what people with tj's, yj's, wj's, or other decent 4wd vehicles have to offer too. I am not dead set on another cherokee (see this thread http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19076) and would love to get ideas for other rigs out there too... my mind is always trying to improve a vehicle.

2003 TJ Rubicon
              • 4.0/42rle/np241or
              • 5.13's
              • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

This kind of mentality is exactly why I haven't made any moves on the new WJ.

I sacrificed tons of reliability, and nearly all comfort with each mod I did. With this, I want to be able to drive everyday, and take it through some light trails should the will hit me. So, now I'm just doing the reading and mulling over any and all options.
                dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
                  This kind of mentality is exactly why I haven't made any moves on the new WJ.

I sacrificed tons of reliability, and nearly all comfort with each mod I did. With this, I want to be able to drive everyday, and take it through some light trails should the will hit me. So, now I'm just doing the reading and mulling over any and all options.
                  JK rubicon take offs, the short lift to go with it, bumpstop, enjoy life. Easy!
                  - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

JK rubicon take offs, the short lift to go with it, bumpstop, enjoy life. Easy!
                    I wish i could let myself get away with modding that little.

i wouldn't want to dent it... so rock sliders
                    skids to protect the under carriage...
                    bumpers so i can recover it... if i got stuck in snow.
                    lockers so i can go more places...

by this time i want to run blacks at least...

it is a sickness i tell ya.

2003 TJ Rubicon
                    • 4.0/42rle/np241or
                    • 5.13's
                    • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

skids and recovery are a no brainer, duhhhh
                      - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

skids and recovery are a no brainer, duhhhh
                        Here's some front recovery if ya want the stock look! Plus, with the price of wj bumpers this wouldn't be too bad!

http://www.hkoffroad.com/products/wj-hidden-winch-mount

2003 TJ Rubicon
                        • 4.0/42rle/np241or
                        • 5.13's
                        • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

3.5" Lift. Check.
                          33" Tires. Check
                          Plated frame, bumpers, recovery, skids: Check
                          Never going one tons: Check
                          10 years still wheeling: Check
                          Still drives on the road: Check

Mods were done over a period of time, first jeep, live and learn, plate and mod as you go. Never thought about selling it, never had the desire to sell it, never wanted to go to larger axles, never wanted to take it off the street.

Will and I have been preaching this way of Jeeps and Wheeling for fucking years now, and now you all are starting to figure it out??

I got a second XJ that won't even see the modding or the wheeling that my silver one has seen and it's going to stay how it is sans a few minor mods here and there. 3" Lift on 32s.
                          sigpic
                          Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

big axle XJs/Jeeps are short term enjoyment, long term headache, and costly sales. proven over and over and over. Unless you have GOBS of money to throw at it at the onset. Or a fully outfitted shop with funds/time/skills to upkeep.

Year 4 on one tons. No gobs of money to get going, average fab skills and tools, endless enjoyment. It always needs a patch here and there, but what doesn't? I dream of buggies though, and it will probably end up like one or replaced by one. Will never be sold.

Hannah's with a few exceptions is built as you guys describe. Works great for all the reasons you describe. Will stay mostly the way it is for all the reasons you describe.
                            97 XJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
                              Year 4 on one tons. No gobs of money to get going, average fab skills and tools, endless enjoyment. It always needs a patch here and there, but what doesn't? I dream of buggies though, and it will probably end up like one or replaced by one. Will never be sold.

Hannah's with a few exceptions is built as you guys describe. Works great for all the reasons you describe. Will stay mostly the way it is for all the reasons you describe.
                              To each his own, you are an exception in a world of examples
                              - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Working...
                              X