Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kfeal View Post
    stiffeners all the way.
    Christ. I'm going to have a fucking full blown kitchen in the jeep before i get the rock sliders on.
    Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

Comment

Here is 3x5 just for reference.
      97 XJ.

Comment

I like your carpet....
        Originally posted by Ktmracer419
        some people choose video games
        some choose projects
        some choose welding random things together

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
          I like your carpet....
          That's what she said?
          I drive a Datsun

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
            I like your carpet....
            Hey, there is a piece of SS in there covering the hole.

There was... doesn't really look like it anymore though, does it?
            97 XJ.

Comment

Is that the "high clearance" method?

Any door trimming required for that?
              Hudson

Comment

I used 2x4 in my old XJ fits almost perfect. Even with the bottom of the door.

I have a full length of 2x6 3/16 that I might be willing to part with. If you want it to stick out past the doors.

RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
                  I used 2x4 in my old XJ fits almost perfect. Even with the bottom of the door.

I have a full length of 2x6 3/16 that I might be willing to part with. If you want it to stick out past the doors.
                  How far out will a 2x6 slider extend beyond the door? I think a little bit of box steel beyond the door will look good, but i don't want it sticking out too far.

What is that even a picture of? I don't even see the slider in the picture unless i'm blind.

Also what is the angle iron and flat steel for? I don't even see it being used.
                  Hudson

Comment

Maybe these pictures help I cut out the rocker which leave basically a 2x4 hole.
                    Except in a couple spots the inside upper corner there is crap in your way so I sliced the whole box tubing and inverted it to avoid the stuff in the way. I'm sure a hammer or sawsall would do the same. It was then even with the lower part of the door.
                    I drilled holes to allow water to escape instead of making it 100% sealed.
                    If you used a 2x6 it would stick out 2" past the inside of the door so basically even with the door handles. I removed the doors when I wheeled so I went with the 2x4.
                    If you don't want to cut the bottom of the doors off to allow the 2x6 to stick through you would have to mount it under the doors.
                    I would use a 2x4 inside the rocker in a couple sections then mount the 2x6 to the 2x4 which would position it just under the door. with plenty of strength because it is captured in the rocker.

http://www.offroadcustomcreations.co...tion_pics.html

Can you see what I did now?

~Justin
                    I'll be in the garage tonight.
                    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:
                    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Yeah that makes sense now. Basically that 2x4 fit perfectly in between the stock rocker location? What is the angle iron for?

Are you saying that if i don't want to cut the doors i should weld 2x4 into the rockers like you did, and then weld another 2x6 under that so it goes beneath the door?
                      Hudson

Comment

See answers below

Originally posted by Hudson View Post
                        Yeah that makes sense now.

Basically that 2x4 fit perfectly in between the stock rocker location?
                        yes

What is the angle iron for?
                        there is no angle iron it is just a 2x4 box where I cut the whole corner off and flipped it over and welded it back in.

Are you saying that if i don't want to cut the doors i should weld 2x4 into the rockers like you did, and then weld another 2x6 under that so it goes beneath the door?

Yes but you don't need a full length 2x4
                        RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:

Comment

Been looking at other sliders and what not, and i actually really like that idea.

I finally wrapped my head around what you're saying as well.

Basically the 2x4 will weld up perfectly in the stock rocker location, and then i can weld my 2x6 to that underneath and the doors will remain unchanged. Correct?

How much 2x4 would you do? You think like a 3' section (6' total) would be perfect? I'd cut it in half (1 1/2' sections) and weld half to the back side of the stock rocker and half to the front. I'd then weld my full length (5' or so) 2x6 to that.

Sound about right?
                          Hudson

Comment

sounds about what I would do.
                            I might even tame back the 2x4 depending on how it looks.

I have both 2x4 and 2x6 I can sell you.
                            RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:

Comment

Alright sweet. Thanks for all the info.

What do you mean by "tame back" the 2x4?

I actually have both sitting around my house as well, but i'm not sure if it's enough. If i need more i'll be sure to send you a PM. Thanks for the offer.
                              Hudson

Comment

See below

Originally posted by Hudson View Post
                                Alright sweet. Thanks for all the info.

What do you mean by "tame back" the 2x4?

I don't think you'll need 3ft a side

I actually have both sitting around my house as well, but i'm not sure if it's enough. If i need more i'll be sure to send you a PM. Thanks for the offer.
                                RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:

Comment

Working...
                                X