Transmission coolers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission coolers

Anyone a transmission cooler in their XJs or any jeep with the AW4? I'm trying to find the best one for my money. It's very limited because I also have to figure out what I'm doing with the transmission, rebuild or pickup one online I found for 460$ free shipping to the transmission shop and a 5 year warranty on all parts.

How did you kill an AW4?? Mine spent 3 days wheeling with my trans temp gauge pegged at 250*. That was over three years ago and it hasn't lived an easy life since.

Originally posted by Harry View Post

So this is what color ATF is supposed to be, right?

I now run a $50 plate style cooler from Advance in front of the efan. That coupled with better gearing and it rarely gets above 180* anymore.
    97 XJ.

Comment

lol yeah i dont think ive ever seen one actually go...mustve had a bad one
      -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
      https://www.facebook.com/M3TALurgist
      I Love Scott Decker and Erik Miller
      -Ian

"Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family"

Comment

I'm not sure but wheeling in 2ft of snow on 3.55s and 35s wasn't to smart. Transmission fluid poured out the dipstick. Had a former friend check fluid levels and it was low to him. Filled with at least 3 qts of fluid, checked two days later and I was over, so maybe 5-7qts in the system, had it serviced for the first time ever. Guess it just wasnt happy with me. It's code P0740 and I don't wanna play games with chasing down what's wrong when I could get a new one for 460$ shipped to the transmission shop of my choice with a 5 year warranty or have that shop rebuild mine. Still not sure what route I'm going to go with.

Comment

What is it doing? Looks like there are a few simple things that can throw that code, even dirty or burnt fluid?
          97 XJ.

Comment

It shuts down the jeep on the road. Checked the fluid levels fine and color is fine. No idea what to do,and I had it running like this for a bit. It was a new code, I had the light on for an evap so I thought this was related. Ended up killing the motor in traffic 3 time's on the way home on a busy county road

Comment

Sounds far more electrical than anything trans mechanical
              97 XJ.

Comment

No the problem is my torque converter isn't doing its job. It's locked up when that happens. I have no electrical issues,even works fine. It just goes from 1100rpm straight to 200 and then dies.

Comment

Converter solenoid
                  2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                  MK2 Jetta > M3
                  Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Hey guys thanks for the help and advice on the jeep. It's back on the road finally took some time but worth the wait. Did end up being the converter solenoid after all. I took it to a well known transmission shop in the area and they took great care of my jeep, forgot about me for a week lmfao, but worth the wait. Cost a cool 100$ and the jeeps back. Next upgrade to prevent this from happening again is gears, 4.88 Yukon Gears. can't wait to wheel in Mabell in the Spring.

Comment

Working...
                    X