This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Definitive "What Fucking Mud-Terrain Should I Buy" Sticky

This thread is for distinquishing which tread PATTERN/DESIGN will serve you best, NOT what size tire you should buy..... thats actually has legitimate factors that feed into it. And because there are no newbs on this earth that actually know how to use the Search tab, here it goes.

What should i look for??? Strength wise.

It's very important to select a tire with a thick sidewall, look for a ply count, all tire manufacturers will list this, especially if its an offroad or truck tire.

Overall the BEST tire option for someone wanting exceptional trail performance and on road drivability is the mud terrain.

Which ones should i buy?

Lets start with the best....

-Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar
    -Cooper Discoverer STT
    -BFGoodrich Mud-terrain KM2
    -Toyo Open Country M/T
    -Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ

--- All 5 of these tires offer tread patterns that perform excellently off road and are D.O.T. approved for highway use.

Some may argue that others are louder than others, this may be the case, but only slightly. From what i have personally seen, all five of these tires are capable of "hooking up" and providing for extreme traction offroad.

If you are going to drive your jeep on the road either as a daily driver or weekend wheeler, then these tires are your best options.

WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO IT, BUY WHICH EVER ONE MAKES YOUR NUTS TINGLE MORE, BECAUSE THEY ALL PERFORM THE SAME!!!!!!!!!

All of these companies especially BFGoodrich and Goodyear put millions of dollars into developing these tires, they are the best, you have nothing to worry about.

If i see one more should i get kevlars or km2's thread..... I'm going to flame the shit out of you until you never want to come back here again.
    Last edited by Zullock Holmes; 09-16-2011, 12:29 AM.
    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

While I understand people asking the question and why

What you have said is right

Stickied.
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Comment

This thread makes me lawl my face.
      sigpic
      Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

What's better, a tire made of rubber, or a tire made of a more different rubber?!?!?!

Plz help I want to but a tire sooooooon.
        dirty30

Comment

The problem is, when people compare tires, theyre comparing their buddies kevlars on his toyota to his own km2s on his own xj, and both of them took a slightly different line. or maybe completely different situations altogether. one took a different bounce, different throttle, so on

there is so much more to comparison than what tread tires someone is running.

the only time i see a painfully different performance is when comparing competition compound tires to non
          - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Also, a huge factor with traction is what you air down to. I'm sure BFG All Terrains aired down to 10 psi will grip better than KM2s aired up to 35 psi.

Or you could be like one specific person and show up to the trail running 50 psi and 'air down' to 30 and wonder why no traction is gained...
            sigpic
            Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

shannon campbell wins races with BFG's and MTR's.

PROVEN FACT.

GOODYEAR AND BFGOODRICH ARE THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean some will argue the suddle differences, but for a trail tire, i have never seen someone denied an obstacle because of their choice of KM2 or MT/R.

Watching "Tards on Tons" this weekend proves, you could have the best equipped rig in the world, but if you can't get the sand out of your vagina and drive like a god damn man then it doesn't matter what tires you have, you're not going anywhere.

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
              the only time i see a painfully different performance is when comparing competition compound tires to non

OMGZ thats cause stickies are awesome!!!!

but lets face it, you have seen the Red Label Krawler in action against the Sticky MT/R in races, crawl comps, etc.......... and for the most part they are still pretty evenly matched.
              Last edited by Zullock Holmes; 09-16-2011, 12:08 AM.
              No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
              Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
                shannon campbell wins races with BFG's and MTR's.

PROVEN FACT.

GOODYEAR AND BFGOODRICH ARE THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!!!
                anythings good when you have a 1/4 million dollar race car to run them on
                - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

You're in the clear unless you run stt's really...
                  I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
                    You're in the clear unless you run stt's really...
                    Fist your peehole with a 1-ton reamer. I hear it clears out the sand.
                    2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                    MK2 Jetta > M3
                    Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

baja claws

/thread
                      "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
                        baja claws

/thread
                        flame me... but... i watched 35 inch claws do magical things at firestreet. with front leaf springs.....

i havent seen anyone make this climb in years, everyform of vehicle, every diffrent tire, tires up to 42" and the claws and leafs did it. my brain exploded that day
                        Originally posted by Ktmracer419
                        some people choose video games
                        some choose projects
                        some choose welding random things together

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
                          What's better, a tire made of rubber, or a tire made of a more different rubber?!?!?!

Plz help I want to but a tire sooooooon.
                          Is anyone gonna answer this poor guys question???
                          dirty30

Comment

Now CB3 says that the only good tire is a Truxus Mud terrian, and that you NEED to have it be the max width of 10.1". You should probably take that into consideration considering he knows his tires.
                            Last edited by Bigbike; 09-16-2011, 08:52 AM.
                            -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

lol sorry to be the straw that broke the camel's back. got antsy about getting tires and wanted to talk about them, however zullo you are very correct, sorry to aggravate. i do not really think there is a big difference between tires either.
                              Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

Comment

Working...
                              X